Thursday, May 24, 2007

Banana Leaf Asian Cafe - Davao

Review and Overview of Banana Leaf Asian Cafe in Davao

Category: Restaurants

Banana Leaf Asian Cafe is located at Chimes(Davao City) beside Figaro. They serve Asian delicacies, from Malay food to Hong Kong Teas to Filipino inspired dining.

It’s interior is O.K. But a banana leaf sounds better if it’s in the open air, right? Hehe. Their chairs matched with the word Asian. So… that’s pretty much A-O.K.

True to it’s name, once you are seated they would place a banana leaf in front of you that would serve as your plate. [Of course, since you are their customer you can always request for a real plate if you are not comfortable eating using the banana leaf].

We ordered their Penang rice… which is pretty much o.k. Although I prefer the rice served by Ah Fat better than this one.

[Image: Penang Rice and behind the banana leaf that serves as your plate ]

We also tried their Roasted Chicken….. [ Image: Left Side ]

As if the Penang Rice was not enough [ which is really not enough ] we ordered their Nasi Gurei that tasted better than the Penang Rice plus it has a sunny-side up egg [which I really like]. Nyahaha.

We also ordered their Malay curry… but it was devoured by my sister before we can take a picture of it. Hehe. Spicy Spicy it was. But, I was soo consumed eating the Nasi Gurei that I practically ignored the Malay curry.

I forgot the name of the next dish [ we ate at Banana Leaf like 3 weeks ago and I can’t remember the name of this one.. I’ll update this as soon as I remember the name of this red-pansit-like dish]. Maybe, because I don’t like the taste and that I have decided to forget the name? Some, would like this… but not me. Not this type of dish.

For the drinks, they have a couple of various tea, and iced teas. They have iced coffee, but unfortunately it wasn’t available when I asked for it so I ordered a weird sounding milk iced tea. I never really liked teas or even teas with milk even with ice. But, I want to like it. Really. My brother ordered the Hong Kong Milk Iced Tea.. which tasted a bit like mine, only mine was bitter. My dad ordered the Lemongrass* tea… and well I kinda like the taste… and I can’t imagine it’s a plant I see everywhere in my school before.

For the dessert, they have a few choices which sounded so local to me. *girl! It’s Asian! It should sound local to you!* No fancy cakes whatsoever, they have rice cakes but not the cakes I want. Muwahaha. Anyway… we ordered the Coconut *edit this part, I forgot the name*. It tasted like Maja Blanca minus the sweet corn and peanut.

All in all it was a pretty nice restaurant. At least, we have another place as an option when we want to eat out. I don’t think a lot knew about this resto since there were only two customers aside from us. Chimes is located at a kind-of remote area and when you go there it’s because you want to go to Chimes intentionally.

*Lemongrass is called “Tanglad” by the locals. They usually place a lemongrass on top of the rice while cooking it, to add a nice smell. I guess the lemongrass tea was boiled lemongrass but I think they have a ready-made tea for that. Hehe. Lemongrass has a good medicinal properties.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello tina,

you know i like to visit your blog-post............
cause, when i visited here and read your post, i feel i am in the phils, too....
esp. when you post and talked about restaurant and foods.....

thank you very much for sharing....parang masarap itong mga pagkain na ito...
some of these, nasubukan ko na, siguro another taste pero parang pareha kaunti as what i read in your post....

si kain kasi ang hobby ko....lol

have a nice whitsunday.....tc

Anonymous said...

try the new dish at banana leaf called roti dog. it's good.

Anonymous said...

na try mo na cafe mediterranean along chimes mall din.