Saturday, October 16, 2010

I Robot - 2004



Category: Movie

Genre: Sci-Fi / Future

Director: Alex Proyas

Writer: Jeff Vintar and Akiva Goldsman, Isaac Asimov

Producer: Twentieth Century Fox, Mediastream Vierte Film, Davis Entertainment, Laurence Mark Productions, Overbrook Entertainment, Canlaws Productions

Tagline: Laws are made to be broken.


Cast: Will Smith, Bridget Moynahan, Shia Labeouf, Alan Tudyk, James Cromwell, Bruce Greenwood, Adrian Richard, Chi Mcbride, Jerry Wasserman, Fiona Hogan, Peter Shinkoda, David Haysom, Scott Heindi, Sharon Wilkins, Craig March and more.



This movie is set on year 2035, wherein robots are everyday objects and are programmed to live alongside humans. Detective Del Spooner (a Chicago technophobic cop) is being called out to investigate the apparent suicide of the scientist behind U.S. Robotics, Dr. Alfred Lanning.


It was my Nth time to watch this movie, but I never got around to review this one. I own a copy of this movie and its a wonderful movie about purpose. I like the acting of Will Smith here (funny and charming). And of course fell in love with the robot Sonnie. :)

I like the message of the story actually. Not just about laws being broken (regarding the 3 laws of robotics invented by Isaac Asimov), but about having a purpose. It's a great mix of a Hollywood movie with action and philosophy. Pretty much like The Matrix but also different.....

I really like the twist of the movie. And the part where you have to guess whether Sonny was a good guy or not....


Quotes I Like:

Del Spooner: Human beings have dreams. Even dogs have dreams, but not you, you are just a machine. An imitation of life. Can a robot write a symphony? Can a robot turn a... canvas into a beautiful masterpiece?
Sonny: Can you?

Sonny: What does this action signify? [winks]
Sonny: As you walked in the room, when you looked at the other human. What does it mean?
[winks]
Detective Del Spooner: It's a sign of trust. It's a human thing. You wouldn't understand.

Detective Del Spooner: I thought you were dead.
Sonny: Technically I was never alive, but I appreciate your concern.

Sonny: What about the others? Now that I've fulfilled my purpose, I don't know what to do.
Detective Del Spooner: I think you'll have to find your way like the rest of us, Sonny. That's what Dr. Lanning would've wanted. That's what it means to be free.

No comments: